Spanish II Class Collaborates with Elementary School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nex+Gen World Language Classes have been working with Governor Bent Elementary School students since 2012 to share their learning in Spanish and French.  This year, Señora McCloskey-Romero’s Spanish II class is working with Paulina Pino’s kindergarten class to foster relationships, work 1:1 in both languages with the kindergarteners, and to ‘aprender por enseñar’ – learn through teaching. We go once a month to teach the 5-year-olds.  

In September, we started out with a lesson on La Oruga Muy Hambrienta, which native speakers Joselin Hernández (class of 2021), Oscar González (class of 2020), and James Rodríguez (class of 2020) first read aloud to the class.  Then Nex+Gen students worked 1:1 with the students on their numbers, colors, days of the week, and food in both languages.

In October, the Nex+Gen students created books for the students based on the kindergarteners’ curriculum and learning topics for the year, including numbers, farm life, bears, gorillas, nature, city/country, the weather, and much more.  Then they read the books to the students 1:1. Those books will be donated to Ms. Pino’s classroom, where the students will have the chance to read them all year long. In the past, when we did this project, the little kids loved it so much that they would read the books over and over. Now they’ll have 25 books to choose from!