Nex+Gen Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nex+Gen Sports

Rhea Richardson, staff writer

by Rhea Richardson

Nex+Gen high school is known for being an extremely diverse and unique school. But because of the size, Nex+Gen has been forced to choose culture over other programs, such as sports. “I believe that Nex+Gen isn’t a big enough school to support a sports team and doesn’t have the resources to either,”  sophomore Keilee Leeds puts it.

Leeds says that she was always interested in sports, but never had the opportunity to play for her school, since she went to small, magnet schools her entire life.  “I do wish there was a sports program at Nex+Gen, because I always have wondered what it’s like to have a school football, soccer, etc. sports team,” she said. 

Of course, students always have the option of playing with their district.  “I just don’t have time,” said freshman Mariah Rivera. “I would be doing cheer right now except Del Norte doesn’t have it and I can’t find the time.”  Sports are a big part of people’s lives, but sometimes schedules don’t work out.

Multiple students, including Leeds, said that they considered playing sports for their district school, but decided to get exercise in ways that allowed them to play in their own time.  “I did consider playing for Del Norte but decided against it,” said senior Kacie Carpenter. 

An in-school sports program would benefit everyone, not just athletic students.  Dallas Racette, a sophomore at Nex+Gen, says “Yes, I would really like there to be a sport program at Nex+Gen, even though I wouldn’t partake in it.”  Lots of students would be interested in watching sports, even if they weren’t participating.  

This can pose a problem for students–kids need exercise and a lot of high schoolers play sports for their school to get exercise.  

Even though most students agree that Nex+Gen is generally too small to support  a sports team of it’s own, that hasn’t stopped students from getting exercise. “A lot of people play for their district teams, especially if their district is Del Norte,”  junior Jordan Long observed.  

“I think that the work Mr. Smolensky does to ensure that the people who want to do sports, get to, is plenty,” Long said.  Even without an official sports program, there are opportunities for kids who want to play sports, including flag football, volleyball, and table tennis.  

Nex+Gen’s community has found a way to overcome the lack of an official sports team, and still have about half of it’s students exercise in some way.  A Nex+Gen sports team is certainly a fun prospect, but a majority of students don’t find it necessary.