Student Jobs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Jobs

Maika Grey, Staff Writer

by Maika Gray

As we grow in age, we grow more independent. With that independence, many of us want our own freedoms such as driving or owning phones. Money is often a major thing teenagers want independence and freedom over. Money, however, comes at a cost. High school is the time of our lives where some of us graduate from chores to jobs in the real world. Although the concept of making our own money sounds enticing, there are many things you should consider before getting a job. I asked some students who currently have jobs about the pay, how they balance work with school, and whether it is worth it or not.

The pay is something that most of us are interested in because we obviously want to make good money. Jobs offered to students often don’t pay a whole lot, unfortunately, but it is a decent amount considering you don’t have to pay any bills. Although they don’t pay too well, the amount you earn varies with the job. Callum Tobias, a junior, earns minimum wage working at Winrock 16 movie theater. Isaac Cordova, a junior, earns $10 an hour at Wow Wow Lemonade. Lastly, Ethan Garcia, also a junior, earns $13 an hour working at Target. As you can see, the pay varies with the job you choose, but the jobs that pay more often require more work.

Balancing school and work was the biggest question I had when I started working.

Isaac Cordova

Callum Tobias

One way Isaac balances the two is by only working on the weekends. This way he keeps the weekdays open for focusing on his school work. In contrast, Ethan tries to balance the two while still working on the weekdays. “I try not to work too much on the weekdays and make sure I have time for my homework.” He stated. Callum, on the other hand, works longer hours over the weekdays. When I asked him about how he manages school and work, he responded with, “I don’t. I don’t really have a set schedule so I work on weekends and over the week. This makes me very tired.” When deciding on a job, you want to pick one that suits the way you want to organize your day to day life. If you like to stay organized, consider a job where you have more freedom over your hours. If you don’t mind not having a set schedule over the week, a job like the movie theater may be an option for you. Whatever your preferences, make sure you choose a job that won’t harm your performance in school.

Ethan Garcia

When I asked the three if having a job was worth it, all three replies were in consensus. It seems that even though working is an extra thing to do, it is worth it in the end. “Now that I have a car, it helps me pay for it. It also lets me do more activities,” said Ethan. Callum and Isaac also liked the income and the ability to spend it the way they wanted to. Working long hours is not all that bad when you see the reward on a check every two weeks. 

All in all, jobs can be beneficial in ways such as learning responsibility, money management, people skills and the list goes on. But, if you choose to get a job, make sure it is in the best interest for your academics. Your performance in school will benefit you as you move on to higher education and the workforce so you don’t want some quick money to get in the way of that. If you cannot handle work and school, or you just are not in a position to get a job, consider asking your parents or guardian if you can get paid to do work around the house. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you make the right choice for yourself. Good luck.