Get a Piece of the P.I.E.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Get a Piece of the P.I.E.

PIE stands for Partners in Education, Nex+Gen’s community group.  PIE is made up of parents, students, facilitators, alumni, and other community members working together for the good of our school.  We host events that bring these stakeholders together to get to know each other, learn about Nex+Gen, and create learning opportunities for everyone.

Since April 2017, PIE has fostered many initiatives to benefit our community.  We meet monthly – parents, students, facilitators, Mr. Lynch, and other community members, gathering to learn about Nex+Gen and fortify our community. We also sponsor social events such as our annual Coffee with Mr. Lynch to have fun and get to know each other.

We maintain a calendar of volunteer opportunities in classrooms and beyond and send it out to parents all year long.  Parents volunteer at dances and other student government events, working alongside students to increase school spirit and involvement.  We put on our Nex+Gen mentorship fair in the fall, implement our Griffin Reader Leaders program in cooperation with Governor Bent Elementary School, and host alumni days in November to welcome Nex+Gen graduates back to our school to share their experiences.  On a regular basis, we invite parents to visit Nex+Gen, tour classrooms, and experience our learning environment firsthand.

PIE is a place where members can propose ideas and see them to fruition.  For example, last year a couple of Nex+Gen parents expressed concern about the state of our North Parking Lot, so we organized clean-ups during 1st period and on weekends to improve its appearance.  We’ll be continuing that ongoing project this year as well. It is important to recognize the hard work and dedication of our Nex+Gen facilitators, so we celebrate them with a big appreciation event in the spring.

Throughout last year, we had over 50 parents that participated in PIE in some way (more if you count STEM night).  In addition, we have about 20 superstar parents who have gone above and beyond with lots of participation and involvement!  We appreciate all parents who have been involved, and we hope to involve more parents this year!

This year, we are implementing our Navigators program, a buddy system in which experienced Nex+Gen parents mentor parents of incoming freshmen.  PIE is a vibrant, active organization, and we hope you will get involved! Stay tuned here in the Griffin Times for more detailed information about each of our initiatives, and check out our calendar to see how our events fit your schedule.  If you ever have any questions, please contact Kelly McCloskey-Romero, Nex+Gen parent, facilitator, and PIE coordinator at [email protected].