2018-19 P.I.E. Events & Opportunities

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018-19 P.I.E. Events & Opportunities

PIE Fall 2018 Calendar of Initiatives and Events

• Coffee with Mr. Lynch – Friday, September 14th at 7:30 am – social get together with Mr. Lynch and Nex+Gen Student Government officers.  Come meet our principal and our student leaders!

• Student Government Support:  PIE members chaperone various student government events such as dances and game nights.  Stay tuned for regular emails that feature volunteer opportunities. We are currently looking for chaperones for the following events.  If you can help, please e-mail me at [email protected]:

Homecoming Dance September 29th

Game Night October 6th

Fall Festival November 3rd

• Griffin Reader Leaders: – On Mondays during advisory, PIE volunteers take Nex+Gen students to Governor Bent Elementary School to read to them during lunch.  We need your help! If you’d like to volunteer for this important project, please e-mail Ms. McCloskey-Romero and attend the October 2nd PIE meeting to get trained to help with this program.

• North Parking Lot Clean-up #1: Tuesday, September 25th at 7:30 am (NOTE THE CHANGE IN DATE FROM WEDNESDAY TO TUESDAY)- we will work with Mr. Smo’s Team and Individual Sports Elective students and other electives to pick up trash and pull weeds in the North Parking Lot.  We would appreciate your help! Just meet us in the North Parking Lot at 730 am that day!

• PIE meeting: Tuesday, October 2nd at 6:00 pm:  our focus will be a Griffin Reader Leaders training by  Mary Bretting-Miller. Parents, students, and facilitators attend each PIE meeting as we all work together to learn about our school and foster our initiatives.

• PIE College and Career Readiness Night – Tuesday, October 9th at 6 pm: We invite  sophomore and junior parents especially to come to this presentation by our counselor Mrs. Rosanne Villareal.  She will share some of the resources that she’s included on our Nex+Gen website and will be answering questions from parents and students.

• Nex+Gen Mentorship Fair – Wednesday, October 17th from 11 am to noon: We will be welcoming 50+ professionals to Nex+Gen to talk about their career fields with Nex+Gen students.  PIE members can help to recruit people from various careers prior to the fair and help out in other ways on the day of the fair.

• North Parking Lot Clean-Up #2 – Tuesday, October 23rd from 7: 30 am to 8:30 am – we join with Nex+Gen students to pick up trash and clean up the North Parking Lot during 1st period.

• Nex+Gen Parent Outreach Event and Echo Q & A session – Friday, November 2nd at 11 am – Come experience a typical day at Nex+Gen!  We will be touring the school, going into classrooms, and answering questions about how Echo works.

• PIE meeting: Tuesday, November 6th at 6 pm: each meeting features an informational presentation about Nex+Gen, as well as committee and organizational steps toward our goals.

• Alumni Week – PIE will be facilitating alumni panels and project evaluations on November 19th and 20th so that current nex+Gen students can learn from nex+Gen graduates currently in college and in the workplace – we need volunteers to help track down alumni, coordinate events on those two days, and make and serve food for the alumni potluck on Tuesday, November 22nd !

• PIE meeting: Tuesday, December 4th at 6 pm: each meeting features an informational presentation about Nex+Gen, as well as committee and organizational steps toward our goals

• Nex+Gen Winter Gala – Saturday, December 8th in the evening – This is a big community celebration to support Nex+Gen Student Government and our 2019 French Exchange.  There will be entertainment and dinner served as well as a silent auction.

And a lot more!  Stay tuned for regular updates!  Thank you for being involved!

If you have any questions, would like more information, or would like to take advantage of any of the above volunteer opportunities, contact Kelly McCloskey-Romero, PIE coordinator, Nex+Gen parent, and Nex+Gen facilitator: [email protected].